Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I am good. No really, I am.


I did my college degree the way I do everything else.  Bass Ackwards.

8 years and 1 baby later, I had a PR and Communications degree with enough credits in other departments to keep up at cocktail parties and probably diagnose your dog's cancer.

Then I sold out.  Instead of pursuing my passion for PR and media  I went for the cash.  I became one of the tops Yellow Page Ad saleswomen in the country for GTE (now Verizon).  6 figures was hard to turn down when I had an additional mouth to feed and no help from his, well, donor.  

Long story longer, I left the panty hose brigade to work in sweats and sneakers all day owning a start a dog-walking/pet-sitting  job .  Did my own PR and had the top game in town.  

I wasn't satisfied... but I loved it. So when the rest of the universe decided to become dog-walkers too, I quit while being ahead.

My next job was menial, answering emails, using my knowledge of Veterinary Medicine (thats a whole other blog) but I enjoyed it.  They needed a twitter account.  So I set it up, started a blog for them and Voila, my PR career was reborn.

Its fun to do daily.  Its like a challenge, how much can I do for this person?  How can I make them feel like they didn't pay me enough?  

In the end, helping others gain exposure, a larger client base or more money makes me happier than a pig in slop.

Harmony?  She just likes me to work from home. 

1 comment:

  1. I got a degree in Psych because that's what I had the most credits in. Instead of pursuing what I was passionate about I spent the next 7 years at jobs that I was less than inspired by. Sigh. You've inspired me again.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, SAY IT!!